Summer Camp Status Update

I hope you and your family are healthy and safe during this crazy time.

The Occoneechee Council held our first committee meeting yesterday to address the summer camp question. Our group looked at the information from National BSA and the State of North Carolina on the phases of reopening. We are waiting for the CDC guidelines and any additional measures that may be imposed by the Moore Co. Health Department. Neither of these have released any guidelines regarding camps. We have set the date of May 15 as the target date to make a firm announcement.

We have decided to push our Payment date and Merit Badge Session selection date back to May 19th and 20th respectively. Any payments that we receive will be 100% refundable if camp is cancelled due to Covid-19 related issues. Health form Part C, we understand that is challenging, but have not gotten any relief from National BSA on this. If we do in fact have camp, we will figure out a work around somehow if possible. The Mitigation Strategies for dealing with the virus at camp seems to be the number one issue, I have found. This is where the CDC guidelines will play a huge role, from those guidelines and any that Moore Co. put out, we can then address the dining hall, travel to and from camp, cleaning,
temperature, food service ETC…

It is our goal to have the council decision announced 30 days prior to the opening of camp.

Henry Goodson
Camping Director
Occoneechee Council, BSA 421
Cell # 910-818-9244

Authors
Top